Hallelujah! We are binkie free! The binkie fairy paid a little visit to our house last night. It all started when Maren quite surprisingly told me Saturday night as I was putting her to bed that she didn't want her binkie. My jaw quite literally dropped. She has been so stubborn about it. It took a little doing, but we had her down to only using a binkie for naptime and bedtime. In fact, she willingly gave it back to me when she would wake up (most of the time). But I was really worried about getting her off it when she goes to sleep. So you can see my amazement when I offered it to her Saturday night and she said "I don't want it!" Well, she didn't have to tell me twice. I expected her to cry for it in a few minutes (she didn't). I expected her to wake me up in the middle of the night crying for it like she'd done almost every night previous (she didn't). Sunday at naptime, I tried putting her down without it. She cried for it, but only for a minute. Sunday night was harder. She cried for 15 or 20 minutes for it. I held strong. Monday and Tuesday were a little better, but she still wanted it. Wednesday at naptime, she didn't even ask for it. Wednesday night she went to bed like a little angel, no binkie. Thursday naptime, the same. Lo and Behold I Think We Got It! Thursday I went and got her something I know she'll love at Toys R Us. The real test came. I pulled out all three binkies we had remaining on Thursday night and told her that the binkie fairy comes and takes the binkies the bid kids don't need anymore and gives them to the little babies who do (forgive my blatant lie . . . we do what we have to do as parents). I could see a little want in her face. I assured her that the binkie fairy would replace them with a nice present for her. She put all three on the table for the fairy. Didn't even ask for them at all.

And in return, the binkie fairy brought:

And we all lived happily ever after . . . binkie free!
3 comments:
Yay!!! That is so exciting- good work! I hope to one day break Jovie of it!
Wasn't Maren the one that didn't want a binkie when tiny? Anyway, Hooray!! for Maren!!
What a cute idea! kinda like the great pumpkin around our house. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment