Friday, August 13, 2010

Whiting Reunion

We took our kids up to the White Mountains for the Whiting Reunion that is held every 2 years. Edwin and Anna Maria Whiting were my great-great grandparents and their descendants have a big (can I say BIG) reunion. It brings back great memories from my childhood when I got to see my cousins that I never usually got to see. There were lots of activities, youth dances, hikes up Sierra Trigo (our little mountain), Little Giant Springs, caves, ghost stories, etc. We knew it was forecast to be rainy, so we finally got our EZ Corner together because there was no way I was going to camp in a tent for four days in the rain. For all of you who don't know what an EZ Corner is, it's a staple in Hawaii. Pretty much everyone has one. We actually bought the corners and the tarp in Hawaii back in 2005 and never completed it. You have to buy chain-link fence poles for the frame and legs and we never did. Well, we got those and took it all up to the homestead and it was a hit! Kept us nice and dry and lots of people stopped to admire it. The kids had a great time, though I know it would have been so much funner if their cousins that they know had come. My cousins too, for that matter!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm not even sure I really even knew there was a Whiting Reunion going on! I'm so bummed I missed it because let me tell ya, those memories are fadin' away as I get older and older. I'm sure your kids had a BLAST. The rain sounds like a bit of a downer but sounds like you guys were really prepared!! I wish it wasn't so expensive to travel anymore. Dang it!!
My fam is definitely starting a travel fund NOW specifically for the next reunion!!!!!!!